It’s so much gobbledygook.
“Each ‘mood’ is a blend of polyphonic stereo instrumentals with pleasing harmonies combined with the sounds of nature. Moods have a mellowing effect, the gentle sounds lying just below your consciousness.”
What does that mean? Literally, I have no idea, but in affect I am coming to find out that polyphonic stereo instrumentals is very close to meaning blissed-out.
I tried the Mac app SonicMood 188.8.131.52 only because it was the special of the day on MacUpdate, marked down from $12.95 to $5.95.
I didn’t know what “polyphonic stereo instrumentals with pleasing harmonies” meant but at better than a 50% discount (if I chose to buy) I thought I’d find out.
Think mediation, think zen, think yoga, think Buddhism. Think peace and tranquility.
“There are 31 different sets of ‘chimes’ using different instruments, including bells, crystals, kalimbas, glockenspiels, violins, and many others. Audio files of nature sounds are added to each mood. You can create your own moods or edit the 31 existing moods. You won’t find anything like this in conventional music.”
What is actually going on with the ear? Why is it so settling? Why can I listen to polyphonic harmonies and feel calmed when my preferred classical music invades and disorients when I’m at the computer?
I don’t know but I’m loving this program.
And I’m not alone. Here are some snippets from reviewers:
- It’s absolutely and totally sublime. Never fails to soothe the savage beast in me. It’s a nurturing, comforting womb to take refuge in….a true haven of tranquility in a world full of harassment. CYBORG9
- Only those without a soul will fail to appreciate how this little gem can transform one’s immediate environment into a veritable Garden of Paradise. It’s absolutely breathtaking! HELIOS9
- … a true balm for the soul. It generates soothing, centering, healing soundscapes that will enhance the quality of your life.8008
- This application is pointless. If you live in New York and there’s noise all around you all the time, then move to another place instead of downloading this app. RULLE RUSK
- Rulle Rusk here. Last year I made some comment about this app being pointless. Since then my girlfriend has left me, i lost my job and my dog died. I have moved to Miami Beach and live a quiet, tranquil life on the beach with SonicMood running around the clock.RULLE RUSK
Could it be that just as these sounds really do sooth and pacify so do its attendant activities mediation and yoga? Could it be that those skinny girls in leotards were right after all?